Who is Roxana Stingu?
Roxana Stingu heads the SEO and search efforts at Alamy, a stock photography agency with a collection of almost 300M images. She loves getting into the nitty-gritty of technical SEO and, besides theorising about the future of Image Search, her favourite past-time is automating anything repetitive.
Roxana Stingu has been previously working in the web hosting industry for almost 10 years, leading the technical SEO efforts for brands such as 123 Reg, Host Europe and GoDaddy EMEA. Roxana is also a proud member of the Women in Tech SEO community and a frequent speaker at BrightonSEO and WTSFestival.
A guide to technical SEO: working with marketers and developers for business success.
Why marketers and developers need to communicate with each other
It’s no secret that marketers and developers don’t always see eye to eye. Marketers are focused on generating leads and driving sales, while developers are focused on building the websites and applications that make those things possible.
But if marketers and developers want to be successful, they need to find a way to work together. After all, marketing efforts are pointless if the website doesn’t work, and a website is useless if no one knows about it.
That’s why it’s so important for marketers and developers to communicate with each other. By working together, they can ensure that the website is effective and efficient and that marketing campaigns are properly targeted and deliver the desired results.
Of course, communication isn’t always easy. Marketers and developers often speak different languages, which can make it difficult to understand each other’s needs. But there are some ways to overcome these challenges:
- Make sure everyone is on the same page from the start. Before starting any project, have a meeting with both the marketing (SEO) and development teams to discuss objectives, goals, and expectations. This will help ensure that everyone is on the same page from the beginning and avoid misunderstandings later on.
- Establish clear lines of communication. It’s important that both marketers and developers know who to go to with questions or concerns. Establishing clear lines of communication will help prevent delays or roadblocks in the project.
- Use language that everyone can understand.
How to effectively communicate between the two groups
Technical SEO and marketing teams need to be in close communication in order to ensure that a website is optimised for search engine visibility. There are a few key things that both groups need to keep in mind in order to make this happen:
- Define roles and responsibilities – each team should have a clear understanding of what the other does and how their work affects the website as a whole. This will help avoid duplication of effort and ensure that everyone is working towards the same goal.
- Set up regular communication channels – whether it’s weekly meetings, an intranet forum or simply emailing updates back and forth, establish some form of communication so that everyone is kept in the loop.
- Be open to feedback – both groups should feel comfortable giving and receiving feedback so that any potential issues can be ironed out quickly.
- Keep an eye on the bigger picture – while it’s important to focus on individual tasks, it’s also necessary to step back and look at how everything fits together occasionally. This will help prevent problems further down the line.
Some other ways marketers and developers can work together
There are a number of ways that marketers and developers can work together to improve technical SEO and business success. Here are some key areas to consider:
- Site architecture: Marketers and developers should collaborate on website architecture to ensure that the site is easy to navigate and understand for both users and search engine crawlers.
- URL structure: The URL structure of a website can be crucial for both usability and SEO. Marketers and developers should work together to ensure that URLs are short, descriptive, and easy to remember.
- Content management: Collaboration between marketers and developers is essential for content management. Developers can build tools and systems that make it easier for marketers to create, manage, and publish high-quality content.
- Tagging and metadata: Tagging and metadata help search engines understand the content of a website. Marketers and developers should work together to ensure that all content is properly tagged and that metadata is accurate and up-to-date.
By collaborating on these key areas, marketers and developers can greatly improve the technical SEO of a website and help businesses achieve success online.
Technical SEO is a process that can help your business website rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). By working with marketers and developers, you can ensure that your website is optimised for both users and search engines. By following the tips in this guide, you can start to improve your website’s technical SEO and see real results for your business.