What is duplicate content?
The so-called ‘duplicate content’ is a very popular term in the field of SEO (search engine optimization) used to describe content that appears on more than one web page on the same or different websites.
It can harm your rankings and many SEOs believe that extensive amounts of it can even lead to a penalty by Google. That’s not true of course as Google has never confirmed such a penalty, but nevertheless having loads of duplicate or copied content can get Google to influence your rankings negatively.
Who is Sophie Brannon?
Sophie Brannon is the Head of SEO at Absolute Digital Media and has been working in the SEO industry for the past 5 years. Her background in Journalism along with her experience in content marketing has enabled her to build results-driven strategies for a wide range of clients while sharing her knowledge as an industry speaker at various SEO conferences and online webinars.
During this talk at BrightonSEO, Sophie Brannon talks about:
- The impact of content duplication on websites and how this can be avoided and resolved technically
- Duplicate content won’t lead you into a penalty
- Content duplication can significantly hurt your search rankings
- Up to 29% of the internet is duplicate content
- URL variations are one of the common causes of content duplication
- How to fix your content duplication issues
- There are a number of different solutions to consider but understanding the reason the issue exists will help you to find the best solution rather than a blanket fix
- Are your crawl stats suggesting Google’s wasting a lot of valuable time crawling your pages?
Here’s the slide deck if you’d like to run through it in your own time!
BrightonSEO – is a major search marketing event in the UK. One of our favourite events of the year, This is a superb conference for search marketing professionals, novice or expert. BrightonSEO is a chance to learn from some of the best minds in search, and then rub shoulders with them at one of the friendliest, and largest, gatherings of Digital Marketers in Europe.
Leave a Reply